Delbrook Steve Nash Youth Basketball is a development league that teaches the fundamentals and skills of basketball in a structured and fun environment. Our goal is to "make kids love basketball".
Run by a volunteer executive, the Delbrook-area community-based program incorporates local input within the parameters of a sound, well researched, youth sports program. Coaches and organizers are supported through clinics, manuals and access to Basketball BC resources.
Divisions & Seasons
Games run from September to March for Grade 2/3, 4/5 and 6/7 divisions. Grade 8/9/10 boys and girls divisions play September to mid-November. See Registration for more information on fees and availability for each division.
Games & Practices
- Practices are one hour each week after 5pm between Monday and Thursday. You will be asked to provide your child's preferred practice night at the Skills and Drills session at the start of the season. Practices and games for younger players are usually in the earlier time slots.
- Games are 1.25 to 1.5 hours on Saturday or Sunday. Players must attend practices in order to play in games. Players cannot attend games only.
- Evaluation "Skills & Drills" sessions are held in early September and help the Age Group Coordinator to build balanced teams. Players are expected to attend these sessions.
- During Evaluations, players are placed on "Scrimmage Squads" for a weekend of games. During these sessions, players may move from one team to another team. This is an essential part of balancing teams.
- Players, parents and coaches will be expected to cooperate in our attempts to make the most balanced teams possible. It makes for a better season for everyone.
The Delbrook League does not accept requests to play with friends or to create teams based on schools (except for the special promotion below for new players). This helps ensure that all teams are balanced and fair. It also allows kids to meet more players and be better prepared for future endeavours, including entering high school. Our experience is that teams bond quickly. And parents, we know you will find carpooling buddies on your child's team.
Special promotion: The League will accept requests for players in the Grade 2/3 Division to be placed with a friend where possible. During registration, please specify the referring friend during the registration process in the section titled "If you were referred to our club by an existing player, please enter his/her name here". This section can be found above the Mailing Address section of the registration.
If you would like to coach your son or daughter's team, please select "Coach" or "Assistant Coach / Co-coach" from the volunteer pull-down menu during registration. You can also contact the coaching coordinator. Coaches are provided with a free coaching clinic at the start of the season (usually the first week of September) and a coaching manual. Coaches are also encouraged to take advantage of Basketball BC coaching sessions and materials.